Thursday, April 4, 2013

London trains

Arriving to the UK was amazing. As soon as I exited the plane in Heathrow I had a huge grin because there were Union Jacks everywhere and signs that had those soldiers with the black hats on. I had finally arrived in the place I had always wanted to be. The only downside to this was that the people who worked in the airport were incredibly rude. Every time I asked for help it was like the last thing they wanted to do was deal with me. This is an issue with every airport though, so I'm not going to hold it against them.

My friend and I were travelling from different states, so we met each other in the airport. We were both so excited. As soon as we got together we bought our Oyster cards and hopped on the underground to get to the apartment that we would be temporarily renting. Riding the tube was so surreal. It's really strange to do something that you've seen so many times on television. It was like I had already done it before even though it was my first time.

Now most people would probably find things like trains incredibly boring, but the tube was the thing that I was most impressed about in London. I was amazed by how quickly all of the trains arrived. They were a million times better than anything I had ever experienced on the New York Subway system. We never waited more than about a minute for a train to come the entire time that we were in London. I don't know if it's like that all over London, or if it was mostly because we remained within zone 1, but it was amazing.

The last thing I ever thought I would be most impressed about London is the trains, but I have to say, they were really great.

No comments:

Post a Comment